Monday, December 29, 2008

Molasses Sandwich Cookies

Okay, between Ginger Chewies, and now this recipe, I am going through molasses just as fast as sugar!  No, mine aren't as pretty as Martha Stewart's (but really, is that even possible?), but all I had was dark, bold molasses and not the "Light" molasses that the recipe called for.  I added just a little bit of vanilla to cut into the molasses flavor just a bit, and mine only took 8 minutes to bake in the oven, not the 12-15 as the recipe states.  When making the frosting, I had to add a little milk to mine as I mixed it to make it a bit creamier - and I wouldn't suggest using a whisk if you are following the recipe, it turned into a bit of a pain when the butter clumped with the sugar inside the whisk - just use an electric mixer.  In the end, they tasted, well, incredible!  I love it when I try a new recipe and upon sharing them, people go ballistic over them.  The same thing happened with the Ginger Chewies.  Which makes me wonder - you really don't see that many cookies or recipes with molasses anymore.  It certainly isn't as "hip" as Green Tea or Candied Ginger, but there is definitely something comforting and welcoming about it - a hug for your tummy.

No comments: