Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Angel Biscuits

I decided to pull out a couple of bread/ biscuit recipes to try these next few days, so we'll see what turns out!  Tonight's attempt was Angel Biscuits, from Cooking Light September 2007.  I think I had two things against me - the biscuit cutter is getting rather dull (which kind of "squished" the sides down and didn't allow the biscuits to puff up straight and tall) and I think I need a new jar of yeast (the dough never really rose).  However, even with both those (pretty major) things against me, they tasted really great.  The buttermilk definitely gives a bit of a tangy flavor, great with strawberry rhubarb jam or honey, or dunked in a creamy soup - like the white cheddar asparagus soup we had for dinner!

Angel Biscuits (adapted from Cooking Light)

1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1/2 cup warm water
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar**
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
2 cups buttermilk
1 Tablespoon butter, melted

1. Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water in a small bowl, and let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt in a bowl.  Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.  Add yeast mixture and buttermilk to flour mixture; stir just until moist.  Cover and chill 1 hour.  
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
4. Turn the dough onto a heavily floured surface; knead lightly 5 times.  Roll dough to a 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter.  Place the biscuits on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.  Brush the melted butter over the biscuit tops.  Bake for 12 minutes or until golden.

**I JUST realized that I forgot to add the sugar!!  They still tasted really good, but this would also contribute to the reason that I ended up with flat biscuits!  I will definitely be making these again soon (the right way!).

No comments: