Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Oooh Baby...

What is it about cinnamon rolls?  Warm from the oven, covered in icing, that sweet spicy smell in the air that has the power to cause men to swoon cinnamon rolls.  I have tried several cinnamon rolls recipes in the past, and they never quite turn out.  The filling is awesome, but the dough leaves something to be desired, or vice versa, or the dough fails to rise (it is so hard to throw away what seems to be a perfectly good jar of yeast, just because it is getting up in age...).  But I think I've finally got it.  These are amazing.  And I have to admit, I didn't even make the icing Ree does, I just did a vanilla icing, rather than the maple.  Still.  They rock.  And even after I made a ridiculously messy mess while rolling them up (every spill a cup of melted butter on the floor?), I still promise to make these again.  I made half the recipe, and got three round pans out of it.  One was made the next morning, and the other two are being saved for Christmas morning.  Family, Presents, and Cinnamon Rolls.  Can life get better?  I submit that it cannot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just took these to neighbors last week - aren't they good? I still think it's really weird that the dough calls for yeast AND baking powder - but loved that she has you just mix it up in a bowl instead of doing the usual full round of knead, rise, knead... Well, theoretically, at least - if you don't, say, mistake a HALF GALLON of milk for a QUART... that tends to make it all more complicated. (Don't ask.) Anyways, I agree - these rock. And the maple/mocha icing is pretty fabulous, too...