Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Kudos to Sarah

There are many things I appreciate and admire about my mother-in-law, including (but not limited to) her ability to stay out of all photographs, her humility (she's going to hate this post!), and her amazing recipe for crescent rolls (those tubes of dough have no place in her kitchen!).   She generously and happily shared this recipe with me the first year Justin and I were married, and it is my go-to dinner roll recipe.  They freeze remarkably well, and I usually make a giant batch and freeze the majority of them, taking them out and reheating them in the oven with dinners for a month.  I haven't made them in quite awhile, but as Thanksgiving is tomorrow, I made a big triple batch this week - 3 dozen for a friend to take to her family's thanksgiving dinner, and a couple dozen for ours.  Here you go, from the Gasper family to yours.

(Refrigerator) Crescent Rolls

Beat together and let stand 10 minutes:
1 cup warm water
1 pk. (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1 Tbsp Sugar
3 eggs, beaten

Add"
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp salt

Add, and knead until smooth:
5 cups flour - or more as needed (I used a mixture of regular unbleached, white whole wheat, and whole wheat flours - use what you like)

Place in a large container, covered, and refrigerate overnight, or up to a week.  Divide dough in half.  Roll each half in a 12-inch circle and cut into 16 pie wedges each.  Roll up each wedge, starting at wide end.  Place on greased baking sheets and let rise 2 to 3 hours or until doubled in size.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.  Yield: 32 rolls

No comments: