Monday, November 10, 2008

From Mocha to Mint

As a treat for small group tonight, we were going to bring this little bag of random Japanese candies we got in Honolulu.  But after trying a few of the pieces, I decided that I didn't really consider the Japanese candy a "treat."  So a couple hours before heading out I decided to throw together some Andes Mint Chip Cookies instead.  I had been sitting on a couple bags of the Andes Mint Chips for a couple months now, and all of a sudden I wanted those cookies NOW.  I think I can trace back my love of Andes Mint Candies directly to my Grandma.  I can picture in my mind exactly where they kept their stash of Andes Candies in their house at the top of the hill in Marathon - right on the hutch in the dining room.  Which makes me remember other things about that house - the bowl of whole nuts in the shell, that we would always want to crack open the shell, but never wanted to eat the nasty broken nut on the inside - the worn game of Mastermind - the GIANT cartoon deck of cards - the flowers by the back door that bloomed AT NIGHT (AMAZING - especially to an 8 year old).  

What was I talking about?  Oh right, the cookies.  














Andes Mint Chip Cookies

1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 Cup packed Brown Sugar
3/4 Butter (I used Smart Balance Butter/Baking Blend)
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp Almond Extract (or Vanilla - whichever you prefer)
2 Tblsp water
3 Cups All-purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
10 oz. (1 bag) Andes Mint Chips
1/2 Cup bittersweet chocolate chips/chunks, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a large bowl, cream sugars and butter together.  Add eggs, extract and water.  Beat well.  Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl, and add gradually to the creamed mixture.  Stir in Mint Chips.  Place rounded Tablespoonfuls on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake 10 minutes until golden around the edges.  Allow to cool thoroughly on wire racks.  When the cookies have cooled, drizzle melted chocolate over the top (I scoop the chocolate into a zip-top bag and then snip the corner for an even, controlled drizzle).

2 comments:

Jenn King said...

Thanks for sending cookies home with Jim for me. They were wonderful.

Dg2.5 said...

I use the Ande's peppermint baking chips in my eggnog cookies - they taste like xmmmmmmmas