Friday, November 7, 2008

Double Whammy.

Alright, since you all are probably dry heaving from Justin & Travis' recipe for "fruity" brats, I thought I would throw this one in from yesterday.  Now, if you have never tried this, I know it looks awful.  Heck, it even sounds awful.  But oh, the taste... the mouthfeel... luxury for your taste buds can be bought for $2.38.  Along with Justin's Hawaiian brats, we bought some beef marrow bones at the People's Meat Market in Custer.  This was actually our main reason for heading out there in the first place!  I had read, heard and seen about the wonderfulness of roasted beef marrow in chef's biographies and on tv, and awhile ago we tried it for the first time.  I cannot adequately describe it to you, but I'll try anyways.  The texture is a combination of butter, olive oil, and roasted garlic.  If it was possible to eat silk, I think it would feel like this.  The smell is that of roasted meat, but way more intense.  The taste... is uniquely beef marrow.  It is actually slightly on the bland side, but just a little sprinkling of coarse salt catapults it into an extraordinary league of its own.  All I can say is that you should try it sometime.  Spend two bucks, roast the bones drizzled with a bit of olive oil for 15-20 minutes at 450 degrees, scoop out the marrow (if it is still pink, just stick it on a little pan and shove it in the oven for another minute or two) and spread it on toasted french bread, and sprinkle with a little coarse salt, and fresh parsley, if you have it.  Open your mind and mouth, and expand your culinary world - you'll be glad you did!

2 comments:

Jenn King said...

I can't believe I missed this!

Anonymous said...

Those look like tree trunks!