Friday, February 13, 2009

Red Velvet Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies will always be a favorite of ours.  They're easy to make, take minimal ingredients, and are always a hit.  Well, while checking some of my favorite blogs, I came across Bakerella's post for these.  They're almost identical to our beloved chocolate sandwich cookies, but perfect for Valentine's Day!  So I stopped at the store to pick up a box of red velvet cake mix (all I could find was Duncan Hines) and threw them together this morning.  Rather than using butter or margarine, as Bakerella suggests, I stuck with the trusty chocolate sandwich cookies recipe - the cake mix, 2 eggs, and 1/3 cup of vegetable/canola oil.  I scooped the dough onto the cookies sheets and smooshed them just a bit, and baked them for 8 minutes.  And I probably could have dropped that back to 7 1/2, or even 7, but the main thing is not to overbake them.  Take them out when they are just cracked, but still very wet-looking on the inside.  Let them cool on the cookie sheets for 1-2 minutes, and then remove to wire racks to cool.  I make my cream cheese frosting the same as Bakerella does, which is delicious.  I scoop my frosting into a zip top bag, snip a corner, and then pipe a mound of frosting on the cookies to make sandwiches.  Verdict - very yummy, perfectly red-tasting, and Valentine-y to boot.  A great holiday version of an old favorite!

No comments: