Monday, September 1, 2008

Nearing Summer's End

Labor Day.  Rather a bittersweet type of day in my opinion.  A nice long weekend, with an extra day to spend with friends and family, but also the signal of school back in session, leaves beginning to change, and the final days of wearing shorts for the year.  
This year's work-free day was quite busy.  Travis took Jennie (just a friend) to the airport very early this morning for her 6 am flight home.  We so enjoyed meeting her and having her stay with us this past week and hope to see her again (though it may be later than sooner, as she lives just outside Vancouver, BC!).  
Justin and I drove out to Rosholt this morning and I ran the 5K Labor Day Run at 9 am.  It was already very warm, and those rolling hills are a killer, but I was glad to finish it in a reasonable amount of time and always enjoy the race each year.  
Mom & Paul came down from Wausau for lunch and part of the afternoon.  We finished off much of our farmer's market finds - roasted green beans and potatoes, corn on the cob, and carrot sticks served along with shredded barbeque chicken - and a few final Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Crunch Bars (and my parents split the last piece of chocolate peanut butter cake - lucky ducks).
Later in the afternoon I tried another new recipe, for Oatmeal Cinnamon Chip muffins.  Very tasty.  Have you ever used cinnamon chips for baking?  I love them in scones.  Mmmm...scones...  I haven't made those in a LONG time, and now I have half a bag of cinnamon chips to use up - Great idea! :)  You'll see them posted soon enough!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,

Your muffins look great! I haven't had cinnamon chips in a while and am starting to crave them. Today I made some cashew cookies and used butterscotch chips. Now I'm wondering how cinnamon chips would work with the cashews. Hmmmmm.